Monday, June 10, 2013

Dubai

What a wondrful short weekend in Dubai. My sister is there for work and since it is only a 6-7 hour flight away, I thought it would be great to see her. First flight in 4+ years without children. Amazing!! I read, watched movies, had a glass wine, and even was able to sleep!! Just the flight was a little bit of a vacation. (Not that I would want a vacation all the time, but it was really nice for this weekend). I really only had Friday and Saturday as I landed at midnight on Thursday and left at 8 something on Sunday. It was just right though. We saw the spice souk, the world's tallest building, largest fountain show, the indoor ski slopes, aquarium, nightlife, desert experience, beaches, pool and a mosque. We packed alot in our 2 days. I also realized that my sister and I travel really well together which was a great surprise. Now onto Dubai. I had heard how family friendly Dubai was and how great the restaurants were and lots of business is done there, but I was completely surprised by alot. First, you have to take a taxi everywhere. I kept asking if we could walk from one place to another and every time people thought I was crazy, and it was. Everything is really spread out and a taxi is a must. Second, all the restaurants and shops are from somewhere else. Any big restaurant in the US is located there. Chilis, On the Border, Starbucks....there is nothing authentic from Dubai or the Emirates, which is a little weird. Third, everything is new. We saw a tiny glimpse of real housing there, but the sad thing is is that I know in a few months it will be torn down for a new big modern park. Very sad. Fourth, only 17 percent of the poulation is local, all the others are expats from somewhere else. And lastly, I was really surprised that the place is completely broke. I just assumed that the place was full of money, tourist money, oil money, business money...but it's not. I am not sure how it works actually. My trip was an amazing experience but has left me with so many questions. I would love to pick up a good book on the culture of the people and the history, but was told that there is nothing factual out as no recorded history is really there and what is there is very skewed with positive messages about the ruling sheiks. I am just really interested in their lives. Hopefully one day I can find out more, but for now this was an amazing experience and I am very glad that I was able to go for the weekend.

No comments: